My take on latkes incorporates vitamin A filled veggies, added fiber from the skins, and heart healthy coconut oil. Say goodbye to skinless potatoes fried in vegetable oil. This version on your holiday favorite treat shows that you don’t need to sacrifice tradition for taste or health.
Sweet Potato & Carrots Latkes (gluten free, grain free, dairy free)
Yields: 16 latkes
1 russet potato, skin on
1 medium sweet potato, skin on
1 carrot, peeled
2/3 cup almond flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup coconut oil, melted
Scallions, sliced for garnish (optional)
1. Grate the potatoes and carrots in a food processor. Place grated vegetables in colander to drain out excess moisture, and dab with a paper towel to absorb even more moisture. This is an important step!
2. Pour vegetables into a large bowl with eggs, almond flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Prepare the latkes in batches of 4-5. For each batch heat ¼ -? cup coconut oil on medium heat in large 12 inch skillet (cast iron skillet works well). Once oil is piping hot, pour 4-5 large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and press to form pancakes about ¼ inch thick. Cook each side until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes per side.
4. Place paper towel on plate and put cooked latkes on top to absorb excess oil.
5. Garnish with scallions and serve with a dollop of 2% Greek yogurt, crème fraiche or apple sauce.