Spaghetti Squash Lasagna (gluten free, grain free)
Happy 2015! New year calls for new way to make spaghetti squash. My take on a favorite comfort food lasagna that is a satisfying, high fiber, low carb and grain free. This is a sure hit at your dinner table.
And for good news! I am partnering up with Middleberg Nutrition, an amazing nutrition & wellness practice to head a pediatric nutrition division.
Serves: 6-8 (1 serving is ¼ stuffed squash half)
2 ½ -3 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise & seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2.5 cups spinach leaves, rinsed well
½ cup chunky tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
4 basil leaves, chopped finely
1. Bake squash in oven at 400 ? with flesh side down on baking sheet for 45 minutes until tender. Or, microwave squash flesh-side down uncovered on high for about 10 minutes until tender.
2. While squash is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach and cook for additional 2 minutes until wilted. Place cooked vegetables in a large bowl.
3. Once squash is tender, remove from oven and allow to cool. Turn the oven up to 450?.
4. Use a fork to gently scrape the squash from the shells into the bowl, using caution not to puncture the shells. Stir in tomato sauce, oregano and ¾ cup cheese into the squash mixture.
5. Place the squash shells onto a broiler safe baking pan and divide the squash and vegetable mixture between the shells. Top with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
6. Place in oven on lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack and turn the broiler to high and broil for additional 2 minutes, until cheese begins to brown.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil.